Monday, October 24, 2016

Making flipping fractions a thing of the past


Diving fractions...without the flip! 

This week in math class we were yet again blown away by Patricia by turning flipping fractions and dividing a thing of the past. Our opening activity falls into the category of physical activity which is one of my favourite cross-curriculum subjects to incorporate into the classroom. The concept of the activity incorporating fractions could help students understand the difference between a variety of fractions and the values that each fraction has. It started as a wide base activity that got students to first work individually and then with elbow partners/group and then gave the options for students to use any method that got them to best visualize the people in the activity and the distance to the teacher. This activity has definitely been added to the mathematics toolbox of resources.

In addition to the opening activity dividing fractions have been made easy with finding common denominators. Having students know their multiplication time tables is important to help them grasp concepts of finding common denominators. I myself still have a hard time flipping fractions and divide with the new equation so learning this algorithm will help in my understanding process. I felt accomplished this past week in math, a lot of that is because I understood and did not get frustrated with learning fractions. The concept of universal design is important for us educators, I think it is important to design a problem that is both universal and connected to real-life to help students become more engaged with the problem and more inclined to ask questions and come up with solutions.  This could also turn into a positive way to get students more engaged by thinking of questions, and start to think outside of just solving questions but how to formulate the start of questions themselves.

The strategies for creating open questions are a great tool that we teachers can add and consider when teaching our own classrooms. There insight from these strategies will help us create sound lesson plans similar to how we are learning in mathematics with Patricia.

The presenters this past week all did a great job incorporating fractions with ratios. Elizabeth’s presentation brought real-life scenarios to mathematics, a lot of us bake and cook and the connection it has to fractions is very relevant. Each week my confidence in mathematics is increasing and I my understanding math more. Our class works well sharing strategies that they discover work well for them, as well as Patricia sharing and educating us on different strategies we can implement in our junior classes. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Patricia,

    Great post, especially the title where you mentioned making flipping the thing of the past. I feel very fortunate to learn these methods of teaching math. I know that the way we learned could have confused many students in math and their confusion became road blocks that prevented them from learning and enjoying math. Hopefully these techniques can help us to be better math teachers and encourage students to believe that math is fun.

    Also interesting point about universal design, where we as future teachers can use various techniques to design problems that are relatable and engage all kinds of learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was very surprised about flipping fractions a concept of the past. I learned this method way back in the day and I even taught it to many students in my previous jobs; to learn that there is another way of solving fractions is mind blowing. I've come to learn that all the formulas and rules that we have learned in the past are just simplified ways of doing math. According to Pat, rules were made for machines not children.

    ReplyDelete